Powtoon is a video creation tool used for creating engaging, animated videos for personal, educational, business and other professional purposes. It allows users to arrange and modify pre-existing objects, import images or video, and add voice overs and music to create compelling videos.
Powtoon is built with ease of use in mind and is used primarily to create presentations, pitches, and well-produced animations for different use cases. The best part about the tool is that you don’t need to be an expert video creator or animator to explore Powtoon’s full potential.
However, as you move beyond animations, the tool’s capabilities become limited and it lacks customizations available with several other cloud-based alternatives, which we will cover in this article.
So, What Does An Ideal Powtoon Alternative Look Like?
An ideal Powtoon alternative should be one with an extensive range of video templates along with better video customization options. It should also offer more sound effects, special effects like overlays, and give users greater control over branding by allowing them to add logos and colour themes.
Now that we know what to look for, let’s take a look at the top 10 Powtoon alternatives along with their pros, cons, pricing, and customer ratings. We have also summarized the features of all the alternatives in the form of a table at the end of the article to make it easier for you to navigate.
Here are the ones we will cover:
This Powtoon alternative has a robust editing suite, 5000+ fully-customizable templates, an extensive stock media library, and a wide range of menu options only available in paid versions of similar platforms. It also gives you the freedom to mix and match templates to create a one-of-a-kind video. Create your free account on InVideo and start editing videos seamlessly.
Who is InVideo for?
InVideo works equally well for professional and personal use and allows you to create videos for various use cases whether you’re a social media marketer, a business owner, or a content creator. InVideo caters to your needs with over 5,000 templates and over 8 million stock videos and photos that cover almost every use-case and industry.
You can sign up for your free account here.
InVideo Key Features
- 5000+ fully customizable templates: From logo reveals to educational videos, InVideo has a template for almost every industry and video idea.
- Access to 8M+ stock assets: Want to add some additional clips to your video for an intro or outro? Or perhaps you want to create a professional video without investing in filming? You can do that with the extensive stock assets library on InVideo.
- Allows you to add your own branding: InVideo offers you the flexibility to add your brand’s watermark and choose your own font and colours to make your videos suited for your brand.
- Automatically convert text to video: Convert an article or a social media post into a video in just one click with 50+ themes, context-matching images, and a natural-sounding voice that reads the words out loud.
- Unlimited users: You can add multiple team members to your dashboard to edit and collaborate on videos together, instead of doing unnecessary back and forth for approvals and feedback.
- Instant chat support on the video editor: If you’re stuck while editing a video, the InVideo chat support is present within the dashboard to help you with quick solutions.
- Easy to use and learn.
- Good for beginner and seasoned users alike.
- Offers 5000+ completely customizable video templates
- Free in-built stock media library with 8M+ royalty-free images and video clips
- Includes high-end features like automated voice-overs, HD resolution, speed adjustment
- Allows you to turn articles into videos in a single click
- Unlimited team members and team sharing, which makes collaboration a breeze
- Brand presets that ensure your content remains consistent with your brand’s style guide
- 24x7 priority support so that your workflow experiences minimal interruptions
- Up to 100GB cloud storage.
- With a paid membership, you also get full access to the Filmr - Video Editor & Video Maker mobile app that helps create professional videos on the go.
- The duration of your final export must be under 15 minutes since the editor is entirely browser-based.
InVideo Pricing (Annual)
- Free Plan
You can get started for free and create as many videos as you'd like with an InVideo watermark in order to test the platform’s fit for your brand’s needs.
- Business: $15/month
You get everything in the free plan plus the option to remove the InVideo watermark, 60 video exports per month, 10 iStock media per month, 10GB cloud storage, and pro access to the Filmr app.
- Unlimited: $30/month
In addition to everything in the Business plan, the Unlimited plan gives you unlimited video exports, 120 iStock assets every month, 100GB Cloud Storage, and access to Filmr Pro.
Check out a full breakdown and comparison of the pricing and plans for InVideo here.
Now, let’s see Powtoon and InVideo’s features side-by-side:
VideoScribe is a downloadable video software for creating whiteboard animations and other animationstyle videos. It works as a great alternative to Powtoon for creating doodles, cartoons, and whiteboard explainer videos.
Videoscribe has an impressive library of 8000+ customer illustrations you can choose from to create the story of your choice. Plus, they give you the option of unlimited video exports in both SD and HD type video quality.
However, the animation quality is poor in the free version and you have to upgrade your plan to use the advanced graphic elements.
Who is Videoscribe for?
Videosribe is best suited for educators and marketers who want to quickly and easily create educational content using animated explainer videos or whiteboard animations. It is also popular for creating brand stories, animated proposals and product presentations.
Videoscribe Key Features
- A wide variety of slide design tools, such as icons, transitions, and animations.
- Automated video creation
- Users can access easy to use templates and a free library of more than 6000 images.
- You can add the writing hand effect or upload a different hand from your gallery.
- Users can create unlimited WMV, MP4,MOV, and AVI video files and also their own JPEG and PNG sequences.
- Creating whiteboard animations is a breeze as it’s easy to import SVG files on Videoscribe.
- Videoscribe takes users through a 5-step process to create videos. This feature helps newbie video creators make a video quickly.
- Allows you to create and edit videos offline.
- Embed video directly to Microsoft Powerpoint to present videos without lag even when you’re working offline.
- Comes with the access of unlimited online support and free online upgrades.
- Apart from importing a voice over, users can access a library of more than 200 royalty free tracks.
- You cannot resell your videos in the free trial version.
- Despite being a desktop application you must have an internet connection as it stores everything in the cloud.
- $39/month (Monthly)
- $14/month (Annually)
- $995/month (One-Off payment)
Let’s do a side-by-side comparison of the features of Powtoon and Videoscribe.
Animaker is a cloud-based video animation software for beginners, non-designers & professionals to create animation and live-action videos.
Animaker’s templates and easy drag-and-drop functionality allow users to create professional animated videos in minutes, making it a great Powtoon alternative. It simplifies the animation process,which otherwise involves complex graphic design, keyframes, character rigging, and other technical elements.
The platform however, doesn’t allow brand-specific designs, and there’s a standard workflow that everyone has to follow which allows very little room for customizations. It also doesn’t provide CMS or video player integrations which adds an overhead task of downloading and uploading videos.
Who is Animaker for?
Animaker is for businesses, entrepreneurs, teachers, social media managers, and other professionals who want to quickly create impressive animated videos.
Their templates cover distinct use cases from content marketing, classroom storytelling, HR onboarding videos, etc.
Animaker Key Features
- Drag and drop functionality to create your animation videos
- Large collection of animated characters, properties, BGs, icons, images, etc.
- Auto lip-sync with voiceovers (that you give to your characters)
- Options to add camera effects, screen effects, audio tracks, transitions, etc.
- Thousands of ready-to-use templates for creating animation videos
- Tutorials to help you understand how to use the platform and videos
- Runs on HTML5 engine which gives a seamless performance on optimized browsers.
- Customized pricing packages for different businesses.
- Limited options for customizations on the video timeline.
- Not a very intuitive interface
Animaker Pricing (Annual)
- Basic: $10/month
- Starter: $19/month
- Pro: $49/month
Let’s do a side-by-side comparison of the features of Powtoon and Animaker.
Rawshorts is a cloud-based AI-powered video editor that helps businesses create explainer videos, animations and promo videos for their website and social media.
Their platform offers 100+ industry specific templates that users can easily edit. Plus, the drag-and-drop function also makes it easy for the users to add objects, soundbites, and personas to their template, making it a great Powtoon alternative.
However, the editor is slow and makes it difficult for users to work with the tool. Also, you can only export videos made with the basic assets at 480 SD in the starter pack.
Who is Rawshorts for?
Rawshorts is for businesses, bloggers and artists who want to convert spreadsheets and blog posts into videos and create whiteboard animations. Social media managers can use the platform to create animated social media posts and calendars as well.
Their templates cover distinct use cases from content marketing, social media, internal communication and promotional etc.
Rawshorts Key Features
- AI to create animated videos from text.
- Drag and drop functionality for creating animated videos.
- Powerful text-to-speech feature enables you to convert a piece of text to video easily.
- Access to commercially licensed and creative commons videos, photos, icons and animations directly from the editor.
- Wide range of industry-specific templates makes video creation easy
- The object gallery is full of modern, attractive illustrations
- Business owners can pay for each export rather than having to pay for a monthly subscription.
- Pay-per-export option available.
- The platform is cloud-based, making it easy to edit across platforms
- Limited template options.
- The starter plan allows you to export videos in standard definition. (480p)
- Known for slow uploading speed and lags in the editor mode.
Rawshorts Pricing (Annual)
- Essential: $39/month
- Business: $59/month
- 3.1 (Capterra)
Let’s do a side-by-side comparison of the features of Powtoon and Rawshorts.
Biteable is one of the simplest, most intuitive video makers online and is most popularly used to create animated slideshows, explainer videos, and motion graphics.
However, most of the templates that Biteable offers are in the animation and motion graphics space, so if you're looking to create a non-animated promotional video, YouTube video, or an Instagram reel, it might not be the best fit.
But even so, its non-cookie-cutter collection of stock assets, animated graphics, and templates make it stand out compared to other editors.The customization falls short in some ways, but that’s compensated with how easy it is to use, especially if you’ve never edited a video before.
Who is Biteable for?
Biteable’s diverse collection of easy-to-use templates makes it perfect for businesses, marketers, agencies, and the average video editing enthusiast working on a short project. If your project relies heavily on animation or motion graphics, in particular, Biteable will be a great fit for you.
Their templates span everything from product launches and infographics to video wedding invites.
Biteable Key Features
- Hundreds of unique templates for both personal and professional use
- Drag-and-drop interface for quick and easy video editing
- Import your clips, photos, audio and enhance it with Biteable’s quirky assets and animated graphics
- A clean, minimal user interface which is super easy to navigate for beginners
- Unlimited exports
- Hundreds of ready-made animations, 1000+ templates, and 1.8M+ stock images and videos, including live-action, animated, and claymation (a form of stop-motion animation)
- A vast library of fonts
- The free version does not support 1080p resolution.
- Stock music and transitions library is quite limited.
- Some aspects of customization can get cumbersome e.g. text elements are all grouped and cannot be resized separately.
- Shared editing and projects only available in the highest-tier paid plan (Ultimate.)
- Does not support multiple audio tracks.
- Pricing is on the higher side, especially in comparison to the limited features on offer.
- 1080p resolution not supported on the free plan.
- The collaboration feature is only available with the highest-tier paid plan.
- Ultimate (professionals): $588/year
- Team: $2,500/year
Let’s do a side-by-side comparison of the features of Powtoon and Biteable.
With WeVideo, you’re able to make more elaborate and immersive videos thanks to the multi-track editing interface. The fact that it’s cloud-based also makes it ideal for users looking to churn out quality videos on the go quickly and easily.
However, it loses out due to the lack of features available on the free plan — even relatively standard features like the stock library are vastly restricted in this tier.
Who is WeVideo for?
WeVideo is a higher-end video editing platform that teachers and educators will find particularly convenient thanks to its specialized collection of school and assignment-related templates. There’s everything from slide shows, video book report templates to newsletters for parents.
WeVideo Key Features
- Collection of unique templates, especially for teachers and educators
- Drag-and-drop interface for quick and easy video editing
- Multi-track editing support
- Advanced features like Green Screen (available in paid tiers)
- User-friendly interface with a moderate learning curve
- Access to a vast template library and over 1 million pieces of stock media to choose from
- Online video editor, no downloading necessary and faster processing time
- In-built cloud storage
- Multi-track editing enables you to create more elaborate edits, layering soundscapes, or a picture-in-picture effect
- Has an Android and an iOS app for editing on the go
- The user interface is more cluttered than other drag and drop apps with templates like InVideo and may feel overwhelming for beginners.
- The highly limited free plan (Maximum video resolution supported is 480p, you can only publish up to 5 minutes of content per month, simultaneous screen recording and webcam recording not available)
WeVideo Pricing (Billed annually)
For independent creators/businesses (billed monthly):
- Power subscription: $9.99/month
- Unlimited subscription: $15.99/month
- Professional subscription: $39.99/month
- Business subscription: $73.19/month
- Teacher: $89/year
- Classroom: $299/year
Let’s do a side-by-side comparison of the features of Powtoon and WeVideo.
Moovly is a cloud-based editor that allows you to create videos in multiple formats including cartoon-style videos, whiteboard animations, documentary-style videos, animated illustrations and motion graphics, making it a great alternative to Powtoon.
Moovly offers a drag-and-drop interface with a library of over 1.3 million free stock assets and access to an additional 100 million stock assets on a paid basis.
However, Moovly comes at a price and is known to have glitches while downloading and sharing videos. Users have also complained that not all the features they promise are always accessible.
Who is Moovly for?
Moovly is best for small-medium businesses, individual professionals, or students, and teachers. You can create videos for internal communications, sales and marketing, onboarding and training employees, etc.
Moovly Key Features
- Includes stock media libraries – Storyblocks, and iStock by Getty Images.
- More than 1 million free media objects.
- User-friendly drag and drop interface for creating videos and animations.
- Option to import and export subtitles, create green screen backgrounds and record the screen and yourself.
- You can share your videos on YouTube, Vimeo, or the Moovly gallery.
- Quick and easy to use. You just need to choose a name and template for your video from its library to start editing.
- Once in the editor, you can drag and drop all the other visual elements directly into the scene.
- It has feasible import and export services, so you can save your creation wherever you want.
- Customizable timing for the transitions rather than a default time set.
- The interface is not as easy to use
- Even with the Max subscription plan, you have limit of 50 video uploads a month
- The free plan allows you to export videos in standard definition. (480p)
Moovly Pricing (Annual)
- Pro: $24.92/month
- Max: $49.92/month
Let’s do a side-by-side comparison of the features of Powtoon and Moovly.
If you want to create eye-catching branding and marketing videos for social media that prioritize design, Offeo is the online video editor for you.
The interface and functioning for Offeo is quite similar to that of InVideo’s and it is similar in function as well, offering a vast library of assets, stock footage and animated graphic elements.
Who is Offeo for?
With its focus on promotional content, it’s made for social media marketers, designers, content creators, and small marketing agencies struggling to create thumb-stopping ads, promo videos, and more for their social media feeds.
Offeo Key Features
- Contains over 100+ video and image templates for vibrant social media posts and thumbnails
- Intuitive video editing interface and easy navigation
- Emphasis on branded videos like promotional videos, video ads, intro videos, etc.
- Well-stocked audio, video, and stock-footage library
- Extremely user-friendly interface
- Allows you to create a custom branded template/style guide for consistent and on-brand videos
- Cloud-based editor, so you don’t have to download any software
- Highly customizable templates
- One-click animation feature
- High-quality design and a wide variety of animated graphic assets makes the final product feel modern, snappy, and optimized for today’s audience.
- Only offers a limited free trial.
- Known for slow uploading speeds, occasional glitches, and lags in the preview window
- Customer support is slow to respond to user queries and issues.
- No mobile app
- Monthly Plan: $19/month
- Yearly Plan: $149/year
- 4.7/5 (Capterra)
- Offeo does not have a G2 Rating
Let’s do a side-by-side comparison of the features of Powtoon and Offeo.
Animoto is an easy-to-use cloud-based video editor and is a great alternative to Prezi because it allows you to do more than simply create presentations. It is also a lot more reasonably priced than other editors in this category, making it suitable for teams and individuals with a small marketing budget.
One of its biggest advantages is that it comes with pre-built marketing storyboards and over 3,000 licensed music tracks to help make your videos more engaging and fun. But, while it’s great for those smaller projects, it might not be the best fit if you want to create multiple projects in a month that require more creativity and versatility.
Who is Animoto for?
Animoto is a beginner-friendly video editor with an intuitive drag-and-drop interface. It’s an excellent fit for both personal and professional use, with a huge library of templates that you can use to create almost everything from personal birthday videos or albums to promotional ads or social media posts for your business.
Animoto Key Features
- Hundreds of customizable templates across both brand marketing and personal projects
- Wide range of unique video themes with animated text options
- Intuitive video editing interface and easy navigation
- Extremely user-friendly interface
- The stock library is sourced from Getty Images and consists of over 1 million images and videos
- You can add your company logo as a watermark (not available on a Free plan)
- Limited collection of fonts
- Lacks creative control and flexibility. Simple customizations like editing image size aren’t possible with certain templates.
- The Free plan does not support HD videos (1080p)
- No mobile app
- Only supports English which makes captioning and other text-related editing features irrelevant if working with another language.
Animoto Pricing (Annual)
- Basic: $8/month
- Professional: $15/month
- Professional Plus: $39/month
Let’s do a side-by-side comparison of the features of Powtoon and Animoto.
Promo is an online video editor geared more toward professional marketing videos, video ads, and promotional videos for businesses. Its partners include Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook Marketing, so you can trust that it is expert-approved.
Promo’s selection of promotional video templates is also extremely unique compared to its competitors, even the ones available in the free version. Thanks to its super intuitive interface, it is also another excellent option for those new to video editing.
Who is Promo for?
This Prezi alternative is best suited for small businesses, creators, or entrepreneurs who want to create engaging promotional videos and ads for their social media channels.
Promo Key Features
- Customizable video templates with basic video editing tools like resizing, and adding music, media, and text.
- Large stock media and music library
- Drag-and-drop editing with the most straightforward interface
- Ability to add a brand kit with designs so you can customize your videos in one click
- Customization of scenes from different templates
- Wide range of unique animated text styles
- Minimal learning curve
- Huge font library
- Access to over 23M premium video clips (only in the paid plan.)
- Allows branding customization
- Diverse marketing-focused templates
- Allows you to publish directly to Facebook and Instagram through their in-built social media calendar
- Offers integrations with marketing tools like Hubspot and Shopify
- Supports content in over 14 languages
- Mobile app for Android and iOS
- No free plan, only a free trial is offered.
- Limited tools for advanced editing
- Focus on promotional videos means that it may not be a good fit for other video types such as vlogs, explainer videos, or YouTube videos.
- Business: $59/month & $348/year
- Agency: $199/month & $1188/year
Let’s do a side-by-side comparison of the features of Powtoon and Promo.com
Powtoon is a great platform for marketers, educators, and businesses for creating animated videos and presentations but it offers limited customization options and advanced editing features, which are available with other cloud-based editors like InVideo.
If you want to dive deeper into what makes a good online video editor in 2022 and why InVideo fits the bill, check out this video where we do a detailed walkthrough of all InVideo features and what they enable you to do.
For now, let’s look at a side-by-side comparison of the different video editors so that you can get an overview of which one fits your needs the best.