Digital and sustainability are two areas that will offer fashion’s biggest opportunity for growth in 2022, according to a McKinsey report. We can expect more fashion brands to look for creative ways to capture consumer attention and unleash online creativity as a result. So how can your fashion brand stand out from the crowd? One effective way to increase sales and revenue is using digital marketing.
But with the sphere of digital marketing being so vast, where do you start? That is exactly what we will talk about in this article — digital marketing ideas to help you start your journey and grow your fashion brand. We will take a look at ideas across various content verticals including images and videos so that you can get a holistic understanding of how you need to approach this.
Here are the ideas we will cover:
1. Invest in video marketing
2. Run paid ads across platforms
3. Build your digital presence through social media
4. Create a user-friendly website
5. Create Facebook & Instagram shops
6. Create style guides for your products
7. Invest heavily in influencer marketing
8. Launch affiliate programs
9. Run giveaways for brand awareness
10. Grow your email list
And if you stick around till the end, we also have a BONUS section on fashion digital marketing best practices that will help you hit the ground running.
Let’s get started.
Why must fashion brands use digital marketing?
Building a fashion brand in today’s highly competitive environment can be a tough job. This is where marketing in general and digital marketing, in particular, comes into play. It can help you get the word out about your brand, get more people interested in what you have to sell, and also help you gain a loyal customer base that continues to buy from you. To that effect, here are three reasons fashion brands must use digital marketing:
- Digital marketing allows fashion brands to build brand awareness - Consumers can’t buy from you if they do not know you exist. Marketers therefore can use digital marketing to reach more people and spread awareness about their offerings.
- Digital marketing can help drive website traffic- Whether you go the content marketing route and optimize your website/ other assets for SEO, or you use social media to create engagement and awareness, digital marketing can help drive relevant consumers to your website.
- Digital marketing can help you get credibility and support as a brand - When your fashion brand starts engaging with customers on social media, it is also possible to get support from interested influencers, experts, and other digital trailblazers to increase your reach. Getting these people to endorse and refer your products allows you to gain credibility and increase the value of your brand in the eyes of the customer.
Whether you are a fledgling fashion house, just starting to dress up your digital strategy, or a brand looking to grow your presence online, here are 10 fashion digital marketing ideas to help you along.
10 Creative fashion digital marketing ideas to make more sales in 2022
Video ranks on the top of our list of fashion digital marketing ideas because it is by far one of the most versatile tools you have in your marketing arsenal. Videos allow you to give your viewers a real-time experience of what an item of clothing looks like when someone is wearing it. They help build trust, and they are far more interactive than static posts.
You can therefore use videos to build genuine relationships with existing and potential customers, improve your sales, and simultaneously keep building a brand. For instance, check out this video by athleisure brand Popflex Active. It provides a low down of the exact features this garment has (and what separates it from other fitness clothes on the market):
Despite being in the fashion space, the video is educational and promotional at the same time. It tells the audience who the brand is serving, what they offer, and how it’s better than the competition. Coupled with other videos on the channel that involve styling, motivation, updates, and entertainment, they are using video marketing to its full potential. Ideally, you want to take a similar approach – create a mix of various types of videos including educational, entertaining, testimonials, among others.
But before you hit that record button to start shooting videos right away, make sure to develop a powerful video marketing strategy. First, you should understand your objective of creating videos; is this because you want to attract new members or sell a range of products you just launched? The reason could be anything. The next step is to identify who we are targeting- list their demographics, goals, challenges, and lastly, the objection to why they aren't choosing your brand. For instance, Popflex Active targets women who are starting their fitness journey and struggle to work out in gyms or outside because of the issues with ill-fitting fitness clothes. Using this information, the brand creates videos that address their pain points while helping them achieve their goals.
You can use platforms like YouTube to build your brand’s presence in the video space or you could stick to short-form content on platforms like Instagram and TikTok. Either way, you want to create videos that depict not just your products but also what your brand stands for. And you can take the help of an easy-to-use editor like InVideo to create these videos. Here’s how you can tailor your video marketing strategy for each platform:
A Facebook (Meta) survey found that Instagram is the number 1 fashion brand discovery platform. The Facebook (Meta) survey also points out that “mobile video is a powerful marketing tool for fashion brands and vertical video is perfect for mobile because it fills the entire screen and doesn't rely on the viewer having to reorient their mobile device.”
So you must have a fashion digital marketing strategy that includes Instagram videos. For instance, check out this Instagram reel featuring a convertible top by Free People.